Tips on how to improve your tyre life
Monday 11th March 2019
Nobody wants to be told that their tyres are in need of replacing. And often, it comes at the most financially inconvenient time. So, what can we do to prevent such surprises? Find out our top ways to improve your tyre life and prolong the replacement process today.
How to improve tyre life
Car tyres require regular maintenance – and we all know how painful it is when we’re told we need tyres replacing. But fear not – there are some measures you can take to try and prolong your tyre life:
- Choosing the right tyres This is arguably one of the most important elements to consider when you want to prolong the life of your future tyres. Tyres which are optimised to reduce rolling distance and improve fuel economy are more likely to last longer, but can be more pricey. Need help choosing the right tyres for your car? Formula One Autocentres can help.
- Checking tyre pressure Ensuring your tyres are set to the correct pressure is important to prolonging tyre life. Underinflated tyres will cause a dip in the centre of your tyre – this then leads to the outer edges wearing more rapidly. Learn more on how to check your tyre pressure now.
- Wheel alignment Making sure your wheels are aligned correctly is vital in extending tyre life. Things to look out for if your wheel alignment needs looking into are pulling or dragging to one side; steering wheel vibration; and unusual noises. Find out more about wheel alignment today.
- Safe driving Avoiding potholes or bumping your car against the kerb can keep your tyres in better shape. Careful driving should ensure this – but just keep in mind what type of surface or terrain you’re driving on, and if you can avoid rough or bumpy terrain, then that would benefit your tyre life.
- Weight of the car Do you have any unnecessary baggage in your boot weighing your car down? The heavier the car, the more impact this will have on your tyres. If you have any unnecessary items in your vehicle, it may be worth removing them. This also aids reducing fuel consumption, so you can even save yourself a bit of money, too!
How long should tyres last?
With every tyre comes a different expected tyre life – on average, this ranges between 3 – 5 years. It is suggested that each front tyre should be able to perform to a minimum of 20,000 miles, and double for rear tyres. But checking your tyres for signs of wearing is important to deciding whether your tyres need replacing.
Looking to get new tyres for your vehicle? Here at Formula One Autocentres, we offer a wide variety of car tyres from a range of trusted manufacturers. Find yours online with us today.